News came down a little while ago of the punishment handed out to the New Orleans Saints in the bounty program that was operated under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who is now with the Rams.
- Saints Head Coach Sean Payton is suspended for the entire 2012 season without pay.
- Saints GM Mickey Loomis is suspends for eight games.
- Saints Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt is suspended for six games without pay.
- Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely, with Roger Goodell re-assessing the situation after the 2012 season.
- The Saints give up their second round picks this season and next season.
- The Saints franchise is fined $500,000.
There will also apparently be player discipline coming down at a later time.
This makes the Patriots 2007 punishment look like a slap on the wrist.
(Of course, for some, this will go the other way, and some will claim the Patriots got off too lightly and will call for a retroactive suspension of Bill Belichick.)
Edit…and we have a winner:
Well, it seems like he steals more than just words.
UXBRIDGE — A well-known Central Massachusetts reporter is facing criminal charges that he stole $100,000 from a Sutton golf course where he worked as the pro shop manager.
Kenneth P. Powers, 49, of 36 Abbott St., No. 4B, Worcester, is scheduled to be arraigned in Uxbridge District Court Jan. 28 on one count of larceny over $250. A criminal complaint was issued Jan. 11.